Last Updated: August 15, 2018
Collection of Information
Information You Provide to Us
We collect information you provide directly to us. For example, we collect information when you register for our site, volunteer or sign up for a volunteering activity, make a donation, request information, fill out a form, send us an email, sign up to receive updates, sign a petition, make a purchase, or otherwise communicate with us. The types of information we may collect include your name, email address, postal address, phone number, payment information, and other information you choose to provide.
In addition, the Federal Election Commission (FEC) may require us to collect certain personal information from donors. For example, the FEC requires us to collect (and disclose) the name, mailing address, occupation, and employer of all individuals whose donations exceed $200 per calendar year.
Information We Collect Automatically When You Use the Services
When you access or use our Services, we automatically collect information about you, including:
- Log Information: We log information about your use of the Services, including the type of browser you use, access times, pages viewed, your IP address and the page you visited before navigating to our Services.
- Device Information: We collect information about the computer or mobile device you use to access our Services, including the hardware model, operating system and version.
- Information Collected by Cookies and Other Tracking Technologies: We use various technologies to collect information, and this may include sending cookies to your computer or mobile device. Cookies are small data files stored on your hard drive or in device memory that helps us to improve our Services and your experience, see which areas and features of our Services are popular and count visits. We may also collect information using web beacons (also known as “tracking pixels”). Web beacons are electronic images that may be used in our Services or emails and help deliver cookies, count visits, understand usage and campaign effectiveness and determine whether an email has been opened and acted upon. For more information about cookies, and how to disable them, please see “Your Choices” below.
Information We Collect From Other Sources
We may obtain information from other sources and combine that with information we collect through our Services. For example, if you create or log into your account through a social media site, we will have access to certain information from that site, such as your name, profile picture, account information and friends lists, in accordance with the authorization procedures determined by the social media site. We may also collect information about you from third parties, including but not limited to voter registration databases.
Use of Information
We may use information about you for various purposes, including to:
- Provide, maintain, and improve our Services;
- Provide and deliver the information you request and to process and complete your donations, purchases and related transactions, including confirmations and invoices;
- Request feedback and otherwise contact you about your use of the Services;
- Respond to your emails, submissions, questions, comments, and requests, including requests to get involved with a cause or volunteer initiatives, to provide customer service, and otherwise contact you about your participation in volunteer activities and use of the Sites;
- Send you updates and newsletters and otherwise provide you with information about our organization or that we think will be of interest to you, such as sending you news and information to keep you informed about various issues, events, resources, promotions, products and services;
- Help connect you with other supporters, solicit volunteers, donations and support for our organization and for issues that we support;
- Personalize and improve the Services content or features that match your interests;
- Contact you if other information is necessary under Federal election laws;
- Send you technical notices, updates, confirmations, security alerts and support and administrative messages and otherwise facilitate your use of, and our administration and operation of, the Services;
- Remind you to vote and register to vote and assist you in finding your registration information, polling location and campaign events near you
- Monitor and analyze trends, usage and activities in connection with our Services;
- Detect, investigate and prevent fraudulent transactions and other illegal activities and protect the rights and property of MCV and others;
- Link or combine with information we get from others to help understand your needs and provide you with better information; and
- Carry out any other purpose for which the information was collected.
Sharing of Information
- With vendors, consultants and other service providers or volunteers who need access to such information to carry out work on our behalf;
- With MCV members and volunteers as well as organizations, groups or causes that we believe have similar political viewpoints, principles or objectives;
- To report required information to the Federal Elections Commission, including name, mailing address, occupation, and name of employers of individuals whose contributions exceed $200 in a calendar year (for additional information, visit the FEC website at http://www.fec.gov);
- In response to a request for information if we believe disclosure is in accordance with, or required by, any applicable law, regulation or legal process, including lawful requests or as otherwise required by any applicable law, rule or regulation;
- If we believe your actions are inconsistent with the spirit or language of our user agreements or policies, or to protect the rights, property and safety of MCV, its employees, volunteers, members, or others;
- In connection with, or during negotiations of, any reorganization, formation of new successor organization, asset sale or transfer, financing or lending transaction or in any other situation where personal information may be disclosed or transferred as one of the assets of MCV; and
- With your consent or at your direction, including if we notify you through our Services that the information you provide will be shared in a particular manner and you provide such information.
We may also share aggregated or de-identified information, which cannot reasonably be used to identify you but could potentially be used to identify your device. For example, we may share aggregated data about how people use our Services.
Social Sharing Features
The Services may offer social sharing features and other integrated tools (such as the Facebook “Like” button), which let you share actions you take on our Services with other media, and vice versa. The use of such features enables the sharing of information with your friends or the public, depending on the settings you establish with the entity that provides the social sharing feature. For more information about the purpose and scope of data collection and processing in connection with social sharing features, please visit the privacy policies of the entities that provide these features.
Analytics Services Provided by Others
Transfer of Information to the United States
MCV is based in the United States and we process and store information in the U.S. As such, we and our service providers may transfer your information to, or store or access it in, jurisdictions that may not provide equivalent levels of data protection as your home jurisdiction. We will take steps to ensure that your personal data receives an adequate level of protection in the jurisdictions in which we process it.
Most web browsers are set to accept cookies by default. If you prefer, you can usually choose to set your browser to remove or reject browser cookies. Removing or rejecting browser cookies does not necessarily affect third party flash cookies used in connection with our Services. To delete or disable flash cookies please visit www.adobe.com/products/flashplayer/security for more information. Please note that if you choose to remove or reject cookies, this could affect the availability and functionality of our Services.
You may opt out of receiving text messages, email updates, and newsletters by following the instructions in those emails or text messages or by contacting us at email@example.com If you opt out, we may still send you other types of non-promotional emails or text messages, such as those about your use of the Services or any donations or transactions.